The beach vacation is an integral part of an American summer. From the Great Lakes to the golden sands of California, generations of families have been packing their coolers, loading up minivans, and taking off for a beach-side getaway. Our classic means of transportation have transformed from bulky to hybrid and favorite beach past times have evolved from requiring packed beach totes to all-in-one tablets for games and reading. Similarly so have the destinations and resorts that make up the modern-day summer vacation.
From the recently discovered hideaway, to an eco-conscious innovator, to an urban oasis, the properties below offer an ideal setting for the modern beachside getaway.
Celebrating its inaugural summer, The Pearl couples southern charm with sophisticated beachside elegance. The boutique resort is nestled in the idyllic Rosemary Beach, a quaint community of 10,000 that transports guests to a classic slow-paced vacation filled with bike rides up the coast, slow churned ice cream shops and fishing trips.
Pearl’s Modern Take:
- Apple TVs, complimentary iPads and Wi-Fi in every room
- Innovative pairing of regional classics and modern techniques at Chef Michael Guerra’s Havana Beach Bar & Grill
- Signature Spa treatments utilizing the healing powers of the pearl gemstone itself
Shore Hotel, Santa Monica CA
Located steps away from the iconic Santa Monica Pier, Pacific Park, and Muscle Beach, Santa Monica’s newest hotel is a green icon in the making. The city’s first LEED gold certified property, Shore Hotel’s eco-conscious design allows guests to reap the benefits of California’s year round sunshine and warm rays while enjoying the best of what the city has to offer.
Shore’s Modern Take:
- Green Clean Concierge, hotel’s own local expert on all things sustainable and eco-friendly
- Green Clean initiative that offers discounts to guests choosing to minimize their impact on the environment during their stay
- Snap and Savor eco-scavenger hunt designed to lead families on a journey through Santa Monica’s past and future commitment to sustainability
While Chicago isn’t want you would call your typical “beach” town, its residents and guests do take full advantage of the summers on Lake Michigan. Situated right on the Chicago River and within walking distance to the beach and Millennium Park, the Hyatt Regency offers an easy compromise for urban beach vacationers.
Hyatt Regency’s Modern Take:
- Recently completed a $168 million dollar renovation that included an overhaul of the rooms, lobby, and on-site dining options
- Four on-site dining locations, American Craft Kitchen & Bar, BIG Bar, DaddyO’s Pub and Game Room, andStetsons Modern Steak + Sushi, as well as a Market Chicago to pick up lunch before heading to the beach
- Divvy bike rentals to cruise down the 18-mile long lakeshore bike path