As you gather the essentials for the summer weekends with friends and family, whether you are at the beach or grilling in the backyard, we suggest crafting a large format punch using fresh ingredients that will be the perfect way to toast the unofficial start of summer and outdoor cocktail season.
The sweet fruitiness and vanilla notes of the Guatemalan Zacapa Rum complement the other staples in a punch such as citrus, freshly squeezed juices and tea. Oh, and another essential? Ice! As of now, the weather forecast predicts it be nice and sunny for the long weekend, so you will want to make sure to have a nice, cool libation.
Below, find two seasonal punch recipes created by NYC mixologist Lynnette Marrero with the ultimate summer libations.
*This recipe yields 25 drinks, to be enjoyed with friends
750 ml Zacapa Rum 23
1 1/4 cup Ginger Liqueur
1 quart Hibiscus Tea
6 cups Fresh Guava Juice
1 1/4 cups Fresh Lemon Juice
1 1/4 cups Fresh Pineapple Juice
1/4 cup Sugar
3 Lemons, Muddled
1 Star Fruit for Garnish
- Cut the peels of 3 lemons into a 1/2 inch wide spiral with a vegetable peeler.
- Muddle the lemon peels and sugar together in a punch bowl and let sit for 90 minutes.
- Muddle lemon and sugar again, and stir in fresh lemon juice.
- Add Zacapa Rum 23, ginger liqueur, hibiscus tea, fresh guava juice and fresh pineapple juice into punch bowl and stir well.
- Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.
- Before serving, cut star fruit into 1/4 inch slices.
Ideal Serving Glass:
25 drinks, no drink contains more than 0.6 fluid ounces
1 1/2 ounces Zacapa Rum
1 ounce Fruitations Tangerine Cocktail Mixer
1 ounce Fruitations Grapefruit Cocktail Mixer
1 ounce Sparkling Water
1/2 ounce Fresh Lime Juice
Grapefruit for Garnish
Lime Wheel for Garnish
Raspberries for Garnish
- Combine Zacapa Rum 23, Fruitations Tangerine, Fruitiations Grapefruit and fresh lime juice into a cocktail shaker with ice and shake vigorously.
- Double strain contents into a highball glass filled with ice.
- Top with sparkling water.
- Garnish with grapefruit, lime and raspberries.
Ideal Serving Glass:
1 drink, no drink contains more than 0.6 fluid ounces