Did you know that Americans spend nearly five times as much on tequila for Cinco de Mayo compared to the average day? The tequilas of choice: Silver and Blanco (representing 55% of purchases), followed by Reposado (15%) and Anejo (6%). The remaining 24% is made up of other styles of tequila such as Gold, ready-to-drink, and flavored.
Want to celebrate your Cinco de Mayo in style? Here are some crafty cocktails for you to enjoy:
Created by Trisha Antonsen of Drizly
- 1 1/2 oz Tequila
- 2 oz Lemon Juice
- 1 oz Water
- 1 tsp Agave Syrup
- Cayenne Pepper
- In a cocktail shaker, combine tequila, lemon, water, agave syrup, and a small pinch of cayenne pepper with ice
- Shake vigorously until cold
- Pour into a rocks glass
- Garnish with a lemon wedge dusted with salt and cayenne pepper
Afternoon in Jalisco
Created by New York City Mixologist Christopher Reyes
1 1/2 oz Don Julio 70 Añejo Claro
1/4 oz Absinthe
1 oz Ginger Beer
3/4 oz Fresh Lime Juice
3/4 oz Fresh Pineapple Juice
1/2 oz Simple Syrup
Candied Ginger and Lemon Wheel for Garnish
- Combine Tequila Don Julio 70, fresh lime juice, fresh pineapple juice, simple syrup and absinth in a cocktail shaker with ice. Shake well.
- Strain contents over ice into a highball glass.
- Top with house ginger beer and garnish with candied ginger and lemon wheel.
Clarified Avocado Margarita
Created by San Francisco Mixologist Leon Vazquez
16 oz Tequila Don Julio 70 Añejo Claro
6 oz Fresh Squeezed Lime Juice
4 oz Simple Syrup
30 dashes Orange Bitters
2 Serrano Peppers
1 Bushel of Cilantro (Approximately 40 leaves)
6 tablespoons Salt
40 oz Whole Milk
Lime Twist for Garnish
- Combine 4 ounces lime juice, simple syrup, orange bitters, avocado, peppers and cilantro into an airtight container. Coarsely grind the peppers, avocado and cilantro.
- Add 14 ounces boiling water and immediately cover so that no liquid evaporates. Let mixture sit overnight, then strain the mixture into a clean container and add Tequila Don Julio 70 Añejo Claro.
- Bring whole milk to a boil. Add the boiling milk and the remaining 2 ounces of lime juice to the strained mixture, the milk will curdle.
- Strain the liquid slowly with cheesecloth. Pour liquid into a clean container, cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Serve neat with a lime twist.
Ideal Serve: Cocktail Glass